Selling online has never been easier or more affordable!
LAUNCH YOUR ONLINE STORE
Add to this trend the fact that ecommerce is becoming increasingly accessible to new classes of entrepreneurs, from retirees seeking to augment fixed income to millennials fed up with low wages.
Plenty of options are available. Perhaps you have a few items you want to sell on eBay or Amazon. Or maybe you are ready to launch your own store with lots of inventory. Whatever your choice, you will soon learn that the cost of setting up your store is less about software and platforms, which are relatively inexpensive, and more about the time you are willing to devote.
Before you make your decision, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have realistic expectations of how much I will be able to sell? Setting up an online store is like setting up a brick-and-mortar store in that both require a sound business plan based on marketplace research and realistic financial projections.
- Do I have a budget, both in time and money, for building the online store I want? (Unless you are the only person selling something that you have proof is in high demand, there will be a period of negative cash flow. How long can you sustain?)
- What is my time frame? How do I know it’s realistic?
- How will I manage the site, including inventory? How much time will I myself devote to the task, and how much can I hire out?
- How will I accept payment? Most platforms, such as Amazon, Etsy, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc. make this pretty easy.
- How will I handle customer service, including returns?
- How do I collect taxes? Again, most platforms make this easy!
- How do I handle shipping, including calculating shipping costs? Easier now than ever.
- Can I display my products effectively so that buyers have a good idea of what they are getting?
- Am I able to write effective product descriptions, as well as other copy for the site?
- Do I have a reliable supply chain? Is it scalable?
- How will I attract customers to my online store? Will I allocate time and money for search engine optimization right from the start? Will I use social media to help promote my store?
CHOOSE YOUR STORE
Choose from store options like Ebay, Shopify, WooCommerce, Amazon, and more.
DESIGN YOUR STORE
Create an online storefront that is attractive and mobile-friendly.
Set up your payment options so that it is easy for customers to buy and for you to be paid.
“We have trusted jack for over thirteen years to help us promote our work. Jack builds our websites, sets up our online shop, handles artwork photography, designs brochures and postcards. Jack responds quickly to our last-minute calls for help; he is always there for us!.”
–Julie Schumer & James Koskinas